Thursday, August 6, 2009

One Month and Counting!

Ok folks!


I have officially been in a foreign country for one month and so far I haven't gotten sick from the food or water, I haven't permanently maimed myself or anyone around me and I haven't caused an international scandal by wearing flip-flops and liking cold water better than tea.  I did manage to step into a bowl of ramen noodles but no lasting damage was done and it is surprisingly difficult to get cold water at restaurants (even at our beloved Pizza Hut) but Mitch eventually gets the message across.  

We're having a good time out here.  We still get stared at and at the Iron Pot restaurant the other night some people asked to have their picture taken with us but the Chinese people are pretty friendly once you've broken down their stare barrier.  My favorite thing is that when they say "Hi" and we say "Hi" back they always giggle like crazy afterwards!  It cracks me up!

We had a meeting on Tuesday with Yalune and Mr. Wu about where we would be going on vacation and they helped us pick three cities that all have students nearby.  There are also some mountains and lakes in the area so it should be pretty and we should be able to get out into the grasslands as well.  We still have to have it approved by some big head hancho at the university and then they'll set it up for us.  Tragically it's not an area with camels!  Next time.

Well, that's all for now!



Get your vacation photos on your phone! Click here.

1 comment:

Beth said...

What an adventure! Surely there'll be something even better than camels waiting for you.