Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Accident

Ok, this is going to be long and complicated but I'll do my best to put everything down straight.
Ev, Mitch, and Mike were driving back to Provo from Springville, not on the freeway, when another car going south drifted across three traffic lanes and hit them head on, each car going at least 50 mph. The other driver was a 16 yr old boy and the guess is that he fell asleep. The seatbelts caused most of the injuries but if they hadn't been wearing them they'd all be dead. Mike was driving and Mitch and Ev were in the back seat, Mitch behind his brother and Ev in the middle seat. Miracle one: Mitch tells Mike to put on his seatbelt, ten seconds later they crash. Miracle two: the engine went into the passenger's seat where no one was sitting.
Injuries: the seatbelt pushed alot of her lower organs up through her diaphragm into her chest cavity laying heavily on her lungs and heart. She has six broken ribs, a bruised heart, a lacerated liver, a hole in her diaphragm, a ruptured spleen(which has been removed), and she has lost the use of her left kidney.
As for recovery, the doctors don't want Ev to use her diaphragm yet so she is hooked up to a ventilator and is being kept sedated so everything can heal. She is in a lot of pain. They have a high expectancy for a full recovery but it will take months to get there. For now only family is being allowed to see her considering she's not really awake:) I'll let you know when visitors will be allowed but it won't be for a couple of weeks. All we can do now is wait.

8 comments:

Evablog said...

We love you, baby.

Dad & Mom.

Ayjianio said...

Get better soon boo boo.
We all love you so much

Aunt Sue said...

Why do the worst things happen to the worlds sweetest people? Evalynn l send you all the love and healing energy that I can possibly muster. We love you and miss you so much - get better soon, very soon. Aunt Sue

Dave and Angela said...

My name is Angela Rowberry and I stand behind your daughter in women's chorus. I just want you to know that I appreciate this blog so much because I love Evalynn and want to know how she's doing. My prayers are with her and all of your family constantly and I know that everyone in women's chorus is praying for her as well.

Amber Horspool said...

Thanks for keeping us updated. Evalynn is in our prayers everyday. We love you.

Anonymous said...

EvaLynn,I just wanted to let you know that we prayed for you today in choir and that we already miss you dearly. I know that Heavenly Father loves you so much and he is watching over you and your family. We will continue praying for you, having faith that our prayers will be heard and answered! We love you!

Shannyn (A1)

Newell and Julienne Fam said...

Evalynn,

Glad to hear the power of fast and prayers have seemed to help a little. On Friday morning, I went to the temple and thought of your name very strongly along with your parents. I put them down on the prayer roll, before I had heard anything! God loves you and is aware of you and your family! We are continueing to pray for you.
Love,
Julienne and fam

Unknown said...

Ev!!! ROYGBIV!!! I love you so much!! Keep up the strength, you're doing great!! Love
Nicole