Tuesday, April 8, 2008

EvaLynn gets to Breath!

Ev got to breath on her own (with a little help) for an hour this morning! She did great! She liked it so much that she'll try again this afternoon.

A few other thoughts: Ev still communicates. I play my guitar and sing to her at night. When she wants me to shut up, she scowls. A critic in a coma. Hmm.

My wife's sister (one of several great sisters) flew in from Colorado to help me on the night shift. She let's me leave (kicks me out) around midnight or 1, and then she stays until 5 am. Aunt Peggy rocks!

Last thought. One of the last things you ever want to see in this world is a scared doctor. I'm ok with serious, intense, casual, even flippant. Scared, though, is really memorable. I saw scared in the eyes and faces of the doctors sprinting my daughter down to the O.R. We got very serious updates all night. The most beautiful thing I've seen lately was the smile on the face of a tall blond OR nurse who came in and said "the doctors are much happier now". She said that when they start talking, smiling, and laughing then you know things are going ok. So give me supercilious, arrogant, pushy, condescending doctors all you want. As long as they don't look scared, I'm ok.

4 comments:

Amber Horspool said...

Aunt Peggy does rock! She's so nice to come take the "night shift." I'm so happy to hear of the progress Evalynn is making! We love you Ev, and you're still in our prayers:)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear of the good news! We; Keith, Catherine, Melody, Alex, Kyle and Eliyana are praying for you and keeping you in our thoughts. Someday you'll find out what you are supposed to learn from this trial, and see the blessing into it. Right now courage, we love you.

Beth said...

Thank you, thank you for the frequent updates! It's so good to hear about my Everlever. I am so thrilled about the good news. It's been hard for the news to really sink in (seems like the closer to home it is, the harder it is), but this blog helps.
We're praying for you Ev! We love you! Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

Glad that she's improving so quickly. :) Jennie seemed happy yesterday... She loves having her relatives around. She was talking about them a lot.